1994-04-28 - Re: DId you ever think…

Header Data

From: jpp@markv.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f005071c8bc57b38d2091ee9f803da29120d20e59bd9044826dc3b72c5b00285
Message ID: <9404272128.aa01523@hermix.markv.com>
Reply To: <9404271310.AA14921@buoy.watson.ibm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-04-28 04:29:15 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 21:29:15 PDT

Raw message

From: jpp@markv.com
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 21:29:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DId you ever think...

> From: uri@watson.ibm.com
> Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 09:10:16 -0500 (EDT)
>
> Wrong again. There was no "proto-DES". From Lucifer to DES took a
> few years and significant redesign, but NSA didn't help  (however
> they sure as hell wanted to keep updated on what was going on, so
> we were telling them [or rather - the team who designed it,'cause
> I joined later on :-]).

  Are you saying that IBM developed DES entierly on their own?  This
doesn't fit my model at all.  But, I'm not afraid to be wrong.

> > Learn something new every day...
>
> Please do! (:-)

  Gladly! Please tell (learn) me: what was the history of the
development of DES.  How were DES, IBM, NSA, NIST (then NBS), and FIPS
related?  Wasn't there some concern on IBM's part about liability --
Thus the us Governments participation, including the 'secret' changes
to DES?

> > Since about 1977 I wondered what the 'rediscovered
> > crypto techniques' were.
>
> Will you bet your ass it was the only technique in consideration?

  Why would I do that?

j'

Thread