1994-04-12 - Alias in phone book

Header Data

From: jimn8@netcom.com (Jim Nitchals)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ffa317f99b846481f85eec49ed0872b7bc3d5b5c14362f2b96d1bab504a05183
Message ID: <199404122026.NAA25429@netcom9.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 13:25:52 PDT

Raw message

From: jimn8@netcom.com (Jim Nitchals)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 13:25:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Alias in phone book

I doubt it's illegal to use an alias for the white pages.  Pac Bell
listed me as "Spaceman Spiff" in the '87 or '88 Palo Alto white
pages.  Only a few people bothered to call and see if there was
"really" a Spaceman Spiff at my number :)

The reasons for the strange name were: I didn't want to pay for an
unlisted number, and Spaceman Spiff was my pseudonym on a BBS that
discouraged use of real names.

Of course the law may have changed; Pac Bell may have let my request
slide by accident; I'm not a lawyer etc.

Just supplying a point of information on the subject,

- Jim Nitchals
(jimn8@netcom.com)

Thread