1994-05-06 - DefenseServices

Header Data

From: Peter Murphy <pkm@maths.uq.oz.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 14f2f7f744a93c868da4e7de7953cee976bda2c58ea11e4ffa84f2eabb153ee2
Message ID: <9405060010.AA01905@axiom.maths.uq.oz.au>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 May 94 17:11:11 PDT

Raw message

From: Peter Murphy <pkm@maths.uq.oz.au>
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 17:11:11 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DefenseServices

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@snark.imsi.com>
Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
_______ MESSAGE BEGINS ___________

Jim Miller says:
> Section #120.9 of the ITAR defines "Defense Service" as:
>
>   (1) The furnishing of assistance (including training) to foreign
> persons, whether in the United States or abroad in the design,
> development, engineering, manufacture, production, assembly, testing,
> repair, maintenance, modification, operation, demilitarization,
> destruction, processing, or use of defense articles; or
>   (2) The furnishing to foreign persons of any technical data
> controlled under this subchapter (see #120.10), whether in the United
> States or abroad.

This is sick. According to this, I cannot teach foreigners about
cryptography in the U.S. -- even about the open literature. This is a
grotesque denial of my first amendment rights.

I wonder if I should hold an open enrollment cryptography class for
the sake of civil disobediance.

Perry

______ MESSAGE ENDS _________________________________________

That's interesting..... My cryptology lecturer seems to have an American
Mid-West accent (not Canadian - I can generally tell), and seems to be
commiting the "heinous" crime of teaching such matters to mainly Australian
people. He seems to be on conference somewhere overseas. Well, I hope he
doesn't get arrested if he crosses any U.S. border posts. It would certainly
piss me off. (For one thing, it would fuck up my syllabus :-[.)

	Seriously, I don't think it is an offense to teach cryptology to
non-NAFTA nationals. All of the stuff is non-classified, and he seems pretty
aware of the legal issue of cryptology. That is, he wouldn't do anything
that he could be nabbed for (discounting any warped interprepation of the
legal statutes...;-(   .)

| Peter Murphy. <pkm@maths.uq.oz.au>.  Department of  |
| Mathematics - University of Queensland, Australia.  |
| "What will you do? What will you do? When a hundred |
| thousand Morriseys come rushing over the hill?"     |
|                                       - Mr. Floppy. |