1994-05-26 - Re: Email firewall etc

Header Data

From: <remailer@jpunix.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3290da097d0d486e74a15443cfeb12b22216a113417f355f6df03098cc631ab5
Message ID: <199405261559.AA03759@UUCP-GW.CC.UH.EDU>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 May 94 09:15:02 PDT

Raw message

From: <remailer@jpunix.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 09:15:02 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Email firewall etc

rishab@dxm.ernet.in once said:

RI> Vincent.Cate@FURMINT.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU:
RI> > Companies like the idea of firewall machines to protect the security of
RI> > their internal nets.  I bet they would also like something called an
RI> > "email-firewall".  Names are important. :-)  I think of the
RI> > email-firewall as a slightly modified anonymous-remailer.
RI>
RI> I haven't delved into the wide world of remailers out there, but I'd like a
RI> remailer that encrypted, though did not necessarily anonymize, incoming mail.
RI>
RI> I'm not really bothered about the NSA reading my mail. In fact, I'm not usually
RI> concerned whether someone in New York, for instance read my mail. But I might
RI> not want people closer to home (local sysadmins, etc) to read it. I'm sure many
RI> others share this position.
RI>
RI> The problem is that I can't ensure that people encrypt their mail to me. They
RI> may not bother, or be unable. An alternative would be for them to send it to
RI> a remailer, which, knowing my public key, would encrypt and forward it to me.

Version 1.99 of my Remail for Waffle actually does this:
it checks if the recipient of the remailed message has a
PGP public key, and if so, it encrypts the outgoing message,
if it is not encrypted already.

The remailers remail@vox.hacktic.nl and remailer@jpunix.com
use this program. For testing you can also use
remail@desert.hacktic.nl, or remailer@desert.hacktic.nl

    PAtrick

Thread