1994-05-10 - Re: Why Digital Cash is Not Being Used

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Message Hash: 33fb49bcc8326c74400e24c36fbf411b93a5fa8d13de9bfd22ae4dbc76ae3f20
Message ID: <m0q0xsM-000IDvC@crynwr>
Reply To: <199405031848.LAA13081@netcom.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-10 22:12:05 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 May 94 15:12:05 PDT

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com (Russell Nelson)
Date: Tue, 10 May 94 15:12:05 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Why Digital Cash is Not Being Used

   Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 11:48:18 -0800
   From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)

   - Digital Postage. This remains my favorite. There's a _need_ for
   untraceable payments (else why use a remailer?). I've written about this
   extensively, as have others.

   If remailers offered robust (see above point about crufty, flaky, hobby
   remailers) services that they operated as _businesses_, with reasonable
   attention to reliability, interconnectivity to other remailers, overall
   robustness, and carefully articulated policies about logging, privacy,
   etc., then MM or something similar could have a real value.

But there's a conflict here.  You'd like to be able to use the same
postage on multiple remailers.  But if the remailers know each other
well enough to agree on a common currency, then they know each other
well enough to remove the reason for using multiple remailers.

Thread