1994-05-17 - Re: Rabin decryption

Header Data

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4cfc4accc776941b6639eeb60a655ad85fa0fb2870a2596a0f202b944edec1ea
Message ID: <199405170608.XAA16682@netcom.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 May 94 23:08:52 PDT

Raw message

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
Date: Mon, 16 May 94 23:08:52 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Rabin decryption

At 22:09 5/15/94 -0500, nobody@rebma.rebma.mn.org wrote:
>How do you do Rabin decryption?
>Anybody know the right way to do square roots mod a Blum integer?

Page 545 of Knuth's "Seminumerical Algorithms" gives a method of finding
the square root modulo a prime. It is efficient but non-trivial to program.
Incidently its worst case running time is as big as the number (actually
bigger) but its expected time is something like (nog n)^2.

My most recent errata list for Applied Cryptography does not amend page
289. I will mail you that list if you don't have it.

Thread