1994-05-05 - Re: Server clusterfuck

Header Data

From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Message Hash: 5cd6d82ed3d9b0c560e90a5e52bb4d35088448cbb0338675deaa7659286501f0
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9405050948.D220-0100000@newdaisy.ee.und.ac.za>
Reply To: <199405050723.DAA10301@charon.MIT.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-05 07:56:00 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 May 94 00:56:00 PDT

Raw message

From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 00:56:00 PDT
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Server clusterfuck

> As I said, I do know that the limitation son the keyserver were part
> of the bargain to get a legal non-infringing freeware version of
> PGP...  Take that any way you want.

Let's see if I understand this correctly.  There is some deal, between
parties as yet unnamed, but presumably including PKP/RSADSI as one of
the parties.  This deal licences RSAREF for use in a new version of PGP,
and requires one particular keyserver to be crippled in such a way that
it ceases to accept keys that appear to have been created by certain
versions of PGP.  Right?  I wonder what advantage PKP/RSADSI sees in
crippling this one keyserver, since everybody can simply continue to use
non crippled keyservers.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

Thread