1994-05-27 - Re: v2.6 for the rest of us

Header Data

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu>
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 5cff1b94c974e2ec101ed8b98a36fe386515fed663b50977e29436587e91a328
Message ID: <9405271948.AA21884@toad.com>
Reply To: <25654.9405271928@lt1.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk.>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-27 19:48:09 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 May 94 12:48:09 PDT

Raw message

From: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 May 94 12:48:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks list <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: v2.6 for the rest of us

> However, I would say that most people _regard_ v2.3a as a legal version
> outside the USA and so are willing to carry it on their systems;
> Versions 2.5 and 2.6 however are obviously illegal exports,

If people feel this way, they are confused.  Once the code escapes the
U.S. it is legal to use, modulo local anti-privacy legislation.  Someone
exporting the code from the U.S. takes a legal risk; someone who uses
already-exported code does not.

> Am I jumping the gun?  Should we just let MIT's v2.6 reach an FTP site
> somewhere outside of the USA and let it slowly (and cautiously) get
> distributed to a small community of cypherpunks [...]

Snarf it from ghost.dsi.unimi.it, as cautiously as you like.
(Oh, actually, the ftp site has moved to goblin.something -- it will
tell you when you try to log in.)

   Eli   ebrandt@hmc.edu

Thread