1994-05-17 - Re: FBI decryption capability / MSDOS disk wipe question

Header Data

From: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
To: unicorn@access.digex.net (Black Unicorn)
Message Hash: 7b09c0d6f34c89c52c4e5421aa6f1fbbc0773818f4d285f820ed21bc125f354f
Message ID: <199405171133.EAA29354@netcom.com>
Reply To: <199405170549.AA07535@access3.digex.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-17 11:33:43 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 May 94 04:33:43 PDT

Raw message

From: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
Date: Tue, 17 May 94 04:33:43 PDT
To: unicorn@access.digex.net (Black Unicorn)
Subject: Re: FBI decryption capability / MSDOS disk wipe question

> A few moments ago I uploaded a file called "hyperdsk.zip" to the soda (cwrc??)
> site in the incoming directory.
>
> My understanding is that this is a disk utility program with some encryption
> option.
>
> It is my hope that someone will take a look at the executable and try to
> discover what method of encryption is used.  I suspect DES, but that is a wild
> guess without the slightest basis in evidence.
>
> I hope that some diligent MSDOS 'punk will take a look and see what can be
> seen.
>
> -uni- (Dark)

    At three sites around the world the hyperdsk.zip file (204,864 bytes)
    contains only the .exe without any documentation.

    In January Edgar W. Swank mentioned WIPIT100.ZIP to wipe
    all free space on your disk. Its free for personal use.
    I haven't found it though, with Archie searches.

    There are of course the Norton Utilities too, but not free.

Thread