1994-05-05 - Re: Anonymous phone calls…

Header Data

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
To: SGT=DARREN=S.=HARLOW%ISB%MCTSSA@nwsfallbrook3.nwac.sea06.navy.mil
Message Hash: 82fdfa3c7e4b28c5e877804a5204f91283820653e300621a352994e569611ad4
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9405051144.A26842-0100000@crl.crl.com>
Reply To: <9405051618.AA21440@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-05 18:30:10 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 May 94 11:30:10 PDT

Raw message

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 94 11:30:10 PDT
To: SGT=DARREN=S.=HARLOW%ISB%MCTSSA@nwsfallbrook3.nwac.sea06.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Anonymous phone calls...

C'punks,

On Thu, 5 May 1994 SGT=DARREN=S.=HARLOW%ISB%MCTSSA@nwsfallbrook3.nwac.sea06.navy.mil wrote:

> 	One of the problems of using the pre-paid cards was brought to light
> recently in the Olympic incident of Harding/Kerrigan.  Harding's husband
> bought one of the cards to make phone calls and they traced the calls back to
> him via the card, since you have to present valid ID to purchase those.

I don't think so.  I've bought Western Union calling cards and nobody
asked for anything but the money.  Every other similar card I've heard
about was the same way.

Now what could have happened is that they traced the call to the vendor,
and *their* records were traced back.  Since you call an 800 number to
access the system, the ANI (Automatic Number Identification) would have
picked up the number from which the call was made.  I'm still not
convinced, however, because I doubt the vendor companies would keep that
information for very long--if at all.

 S a n d y

Thread