1994-05-30 - IMP (was Re: ecash-info (fwd))

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9f2878ccbf5211d548b3e8bfa672734c531ffbfbc124ba732ee8436a7192752c
Message ID: <199405301945.PAA11305@zork.tiac.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 30 May 94 12:45:20 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Mon, 30 May 94 12:45:20 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: IMP (was Re: ecash-info (fwd))

[snip. . .]

>>        http://digicash.support.nl
[snip. . .]

This, like CommerceNet(tm), seems to be pretty much under construction.
The store windows look nice, however...

>> David Chaum

On another point, I still think I'm subscribed to imp-interest, the
internet mercantile protocol list, though I haven't seen anything much come
out of there lately. It got Detweiler-infested and flamed over pretty badly
before it went moribund, but I think imp-interest died primarily because
implicit in it was a sort of top-down-plan idea that was incongruous with
the do-it-first ethic of the internet. Cypherpunks write code, or Chaum
does, anyway ;-).

At the risk of violating that canon, ( I couldn't code my way out of a
paper bag, even though I've designed an application or two) I'd like to
start a thread here.

Could we talk about IMP here?

Here's what I think:

1.) Chaum's e-cash coupled with WWW/Mosaic is a de facto internet
mercantile protocol.

2.) It seems to me that that e-cash, contrary to the status quo's thinking,
is *critical* to internet commerce. An anonymous cash market is most
unrestricted and efficient market there is, because privacy/security (more
than trust, I think) is the capstone of any serious transaction mechanism.
The imp-interest people seemed to be afraid of e-cash because the
Chaum-patent hairball reminded them too much of the RSA/PGP fight, and
probably because they didn't want to be associated with any wild-eyed
crypto-anarchists(tm).  (As a dyed-in-the-wool yellow-dog congenital
up-by-your-bootstraps crypto-fascist <gasp> republican, I haven't the
slightest idea what they're talking about. . .)

3.) Since a big pile of the discussion on this group lately has been about
our collective concerns about an RSA-approved version of PGP, I think there
is a real parallel here in e-cash.  Not that some enterprising cypherpunk
should immediately code up "e-cash for the masses"; that would be way cool
but probably not within the second-mortgages of the people here. However,
some effort should be made to get Chaum et. al. to see to logic of
distributing *both* the "cash-register" and the "wallet" of this e-cash
system to anyone who wants it. It seems that, like Mr. Bill (Gates), his
real market is the people who make e-cash ("banks", "currency exchanges",
"mints"), not the people who use it.

Just a second.  My flame-suit is around here somewhere... OK. Flame on.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread