1994-05-25 - Re: MIT has released PGP

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Message Hash: a4dd804d5ad2e367da28a00a3e6c802e1175799057e7b9d040c60267aeb8c614
Message ID: <9405251151.AA03879@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199405250943.AA20817@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-25 11:51:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 May 94 04:51:38 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 04:51:38 PDT
To: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Subject: Re: MIT has released PGP

Duncan Frissell says:
> R.>the following questions:
>
> R.>Are you a citizen or  national of the United States  or a person who
> R.>has  been lawfully admitted   for permanent residence  in the United
> R.>States under the Immigration and Naturalization Act?
>
> Wait a goddamned minute.  Since when does the ITAR prevent illegal aliens
> (who are resident in the US) from obtaining munitions?

It does. It appears that under the ITAR, giving technical information
on munitions to an alien in the U.S. is equivalent to export. I know
its insane. Its an obvious violation of the first amendment. It is
none the less in the regulations.

Perry

Thread