1994-05-04 - Re: The ITARs

Header Data

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: f5c203072e63aaa7e0040331d3cefe56a89fb575393bdd86c29c1c4f73990b64
Message ID: <199405041429.KAA00574@orchard.medford.ma.us>
Reply To: <9405041110.AA01123@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-04 14:38:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 May 94 07:38:22 PDT

Raw message

From: sommerfeld@orchard.medford.ma.us (Bill Sommerfeld)
Date: Wed, 4 May 94 07:38:22 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: The ITARs

   This is sick. According to this, I cannot teach foreigners about
   cryptography in the U.S. -- even about the open literature. This is a
   grotesque denial of my first amendment rights.

When this issue came up in a discussion on export control issues with
my employer's export control guru, he said that they basically never
bothered to enforce this in the case of open courses at colleges &
universities (because they knew it was unenforceable and
unconstitutional).

						- Bill

Thread