1994-05-30 - tmp’s illness and a free world

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fb4608f7e1549c27661dd8e49a88d6577f0ad366a8ebb3eafade04a95a385933
Message ID: <gate.FJ36mc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Mon, 30 May 94 09:15:47 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Mon, 30 May 94 09:15:47 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: tmp's illness and a free world

Various people, on Unicorn's suit:
>  > You only had to find someone who was ill, and then kick him
>  > while he was down.
>
> It has never been demonstrated to my satisfaction that tmp@netcom.com
> is ill, and while the suggestion has been made frequently I don't
> think we can use the supposition to accuse Mr. Unicorn of "kicking" a
> sick person.  This is a serious twisting of the facts.

Hee hee. True, Detweiler (who's not tmp, of course) has often been accused of
being 'ill' -- meaning mentally deranged. I doubt that he'd agree, though ;-)

> > Was it Rousseau who said, "First, we kill all the lawyers"?
>
> No, my ignorant friend, it was Shakespeare.

Shakespeare?? Not Moses... ;-)

As I said earlier:
> In an ideal world one would have the freedom to express without any risk of
> damage, whether it be economic, material or social. Ideally, I should be able
> to publicly discuss my views, on anarchy or religion or sadism or whatever,
> without risking social censure. In an ideally tolerant society, the need for
> anonymity would then be reduced to freedom from analysis.
>
> Unfortunately our society is far from ideal. Though Unicorn could freely post
> on the relatively more tolerant Net, he still faces intolerance in the 'real'
> world.
>
> For all we may talk about reputation systems, multiple identities and so on,
> the seven-digit possible loss Unicorn talks about is _real_, in a way
> cyberspace and lost net.reputations just aren't, yet.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                     rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Voicemail +91 11 3760335; Vox/Fax/Data 6853410
H-34C Saket New Delhi 110017 INDIA

The National Fairness to Game Animals Association says:
                                          Support your right to arm bears!