1994-05-20 - Re: D-H key exchange - how does it work?

Header Data

From: Brian A. LaMacchia <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
To: hughes@ah.com
Message Hash: fe61a7b7a9930e010a040ae8b7025f018eb020e0b7a9d09dc38dcff3ff5029a9
Message ID: <9405201716.AA22022@toad.com>
Reply To: <9405201655.AA11052@ah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-05-20 17:16:25 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 20 May 94 10:16:25 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian A. LaMacchia <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 May 94 10:16:25 PDT
To: hughes@ah.com
Subject: Re: D-H key exchange - how does it work?

   Date: Fri, 20 May 94 09:55:36 -0700
   From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
   Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com

      I dunno. The paper by LaMacchia and Odlysko on how to break
      Diffie-Hellman quickly once you've done a lot of precomputation on a
      static modulus is sufficiently disturbing to me that I would prefer to
      be able to change modulii fairly frequently if possible.

   Quoting K. McCurley about the above mentioned work: "Their experience
   seems to suggest that it is possible to compute discrete logarithms in
   groups GF(p)^* with p \wavyequals 10^100." [in _The Discrete Logarithm
   Problem_, collected in _Cryptology and Computational Number Theory_]

Right.  Basically, what we found was that you needed the same amount of
computation to factor a (k+10)-digit composite as to compute discrete
logarithms in a field with k-digit modulus p.  The discrete log problem
is brittle---you do a lot of precomputation for a particular modulus p
and then finding individual discrete logs in GF(p) is easy---so you
need to think carefully about the lifetime of the information you're
going to encrypt and choose the size of your modulus accordingly.

					--bal

Thread