1994-06-10 - Delayed self-encrypting messages

Header Data

From: Paul Schauble <pls@crl.com>
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0936a7c87f2a20e9d1e10c03ccd9e8d2e3523021ff8f567a23be0f45eed94fd7
Message ID: <199406102004.AA12160@crl.crl.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 13:06:16 PDT

Raw message

From: Paul Schauble <pls@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 13:06:16 PDT
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Delayed self-encrypting messages

I have a need to distribute some information fairly widely, but it's
critical that it not be openly revealed before a certain date. Consider the
model of an embargoed press release.

Can I do this with crypto technology? Can I send someone a message, and
possible a program, such that the message can only be decrypted after a
predetermined date?

    ++PLS

From owner-cypherpunks@toad.com Fri Jun 10 15:13 CDT 1994
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 13:04:07 -0700
From: Paul Schauble <pls@crl.com>
To: Cypherpunks@toad.com

I have a need to distribute some information fairly widely, but it's
critical that it not be openly revealed before a certain date. Consider the
model of an embargoed press release.

Can I do this with crypto technology? Can I send someone a message, and
possible a program, such that the message can only be decrypted after a
predetermined date?

    ++PLS

----- End Included Message -----

You could do the simple way, distribute the message, then a key at the
later date.  To make sure the encrypted message is genuine, sign the message
encrypt it, then sign it again, to ensure that people know that the
encrypted text is okay.

Thread