1994-06-08 - Re: Email security user survey (fwd)

Header Data

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
To: ellingen@netcom.com
Message Hash: 18b44468edaf1046821c18f0f8db10ddc98b8514cf2041f9015346cc14f9fafb
Message ID: <199406081532.QAA00902@an-teallach.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 08:31:50 PDT

Raw message

From: gtoal@an-teallach.com (Graham Toal)
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 08:31:50 PDT
To: ellingen@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Email security user survey (fwd)

: Yes, please do give me more info.  I am trying to get all of the
: finishing the writing.  So speak now, or ...  Of course, if you speak later,
: that is still interesting, but it won't get into the publication.  Thanks
: for the broadcast, John.

Have you read the article in the UK 'Computer Weekly', May 5?  It quotes
the Ferris Email Analyzer in an article on p32 which gives every impression
that the world of email is entirely running on commercial software and
that 'the market' is defined really as 'the commercial market'.  The article
went on to give recommendations for what software to get to run email and
*not one* of the 10 packages cited was freeware.  Yet 99% of the people
I talk to across the world on email are using free mailer software.

So is your article going to give equal time to net.freeware or will it
be another marketing puff?  (or was the Computer Weekly article not
representative of the FEA piece it was based on?)

If you are going to cover pgp properly, I'm available for interviews;
I work for a company that will be using pgp to protect medical patient
records for the UK national health system, and I hacked a version of the
standard Unix mailer so that it does pgp transparently.

PS CC'd to cypherpunks where I saw the original request.
PPS I've sent in the pro forma answers in a separate mail.

Thread