1994-06-02 - Re: News Flash: Clipper Bug?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1b1136e8d495f2168f457a75372f8147720b1612740cd645f463068dca25757f
Message ID: <9406021803.AA02484@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <94Jun2.135210edt.13307@cannon.ecf.toronto.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-02 18:03:56 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 11:03:56 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 11:03:56 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: News Flash: Clipper Bug?

SINCLAIR DOUGLAS N says:
> > One thing this shows, even if the application of the technique turns out
> > to be too difficult to be practical, is that Dorothy Denning's evaluation
> > of the design was worthless.  That team should have found this themselves.
> > No wonder she was trying to play it down in the NYT.
>
> It was my understanding that Denning was just looking at the Skipjack
> algorithm, and not the clipper unit as a whole.  I wouldn't be too quick
> to condemn her on this point.

I'll also note that as embarassing as Matt's discovery is, we must
continue to focus on the inherent flaw in the very concept of EES,
rather than on any particular technical flaw. The number of flaws we
can find with public information is limited, and NSA can always
bullshit congressmen until they give up. Besides, technical flaws can
be repaired. If people oppose the CONCEPT of the EES, then it makes no
difference how well implemented it is.

However, I really have to say, Matt's hack is still NEAT!

Perry

Thread