1994-06-28 - Re: Lotto odds

Header Data

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
To: Jim_Miller@bilbo.suite.com
Message Hash: 24ba50ada40acfa6daa34950dac7d10d26a04db13f186b35d7e33f26a7029c30
Message ID: <m0qIhVs-0009yeC@sdwsys>
Reply To: <9406281550.AA20176@bilbo.suite.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-28 22:09:18 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 15:09:18 PDT

Raw message

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 15:09:18 PDT
To: Jim_Miller@bilbo.suite.com
Subject: Re: Lotto odds

> Tim May writes:
>
> >I've never played, and never plan to. Money down the drain.
>
> I have a completely different attitude towards mega-buck lotteries.  I
> seem them as a form of entertainment.   For less than the price of a two
> hour movie, I can purchase a ticket that is good for a few days of
> daydreaming.
>
> Yes, I admit it, although the rational portion of my brain understands the
> odds against winning are mostly zero, there still exists a portion of my
> brain that says "sure, but mostly zero means partly non-zero".  I derive
> pleasure from the daydreams of instant wealth that mega-buck lotteries
> make possible.  Therefore, for me, it's not money down the drain.
>
> Jim_Miller@suite.com

A plausible rationalization, but for me lotteries are still just:
"Taxes for the Stupid!"

(Innumarate actually, but that would get 'huh' from most people.)

I never play, but my wife does sometimes.

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams  Local Internet Gateway Co.; SDW Systems 513 496-5223APager
LIG dev./sales       Internet: sdw@lig.net

Thread