1994-06-28 - Tom Clancy’s Random Number Generator..

Header Data

From: jpinson@fcdarwin.org.ec
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 268ea3c80da1dcff1674b7d922f500df3536b35816984470ac3cf455836e82a7
Message ID: <9406280251.AA15206@toad.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 19:52:34 PDT

Raw message

From: jpinson@fcdarwin.org.ec
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 19:52:34 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Tom Clancy's Random Number Generator..

There have been some recent discussions on the list about generating
random number using "thermal" noise from diodes and from radio
receivers.

I thought some of you might be interested in this fictional
depiction of a Random Number Generator from Tom Clancy's book
"The Sum of all Fears".  The story also touches on the topic of
distributing OTP's on CD-ROMS, a topic discussed some time back
on this list.

-------- story by Tom Clancy, typos by me....--------

"Tell me about it. I haven't been briefed in"

"Essential it's our own version of the TAPDANCE. It's a one-time
pad with transpositions stored on laser-disk CD ROM.  The
transpositions are generated from atmospheric radio noise, then
super encrypted with noise from later in the day - atmospheric
noise is prety random, and by using two separate sets of the
noise, and using a computer-generated random algorithm to mix the
two, well, the mathematicians say that's as random as it gets.
The transpositions are generated by computer and fed onto laser
disks in realtime.  We use a different disk for everyday of the
year.  Each disk is unique, two copies only, one to the station,
one in MERCURY- no backups.  The laser-disk reader we use at both
ends looks normal, but has a beefed-up laser, and as it reads the
transposition codes from the disk it also burns them right off
the plastic.  When the disk is used up, or the day ends- and the
day will end first, since we're talking billions of characters
per disk- the disk is destroyed by baking it in a microwave oven.
That takes two minutes.  It ought to be secure as hell.  It can
only be compromised at three stages: fist when the disks ar
manufactured; second, from disk-storage here,: third, from disk
storage at each station.  Compromise of one station does not
compromise anyone else. .....

---------- end of quoted material

(ciphers were discussed several times in the book, but I won't
take up bandwidth to reproduce them all)

Jim Pinson              Galapagos

Thread