1994-06-02 - Re: Black Eye for NSA, NIST, and Denning

Header Data

From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Message Hash: 405ccd1d4b1e305eef2f6f98056ae33935467e1f7ce480afd7bc1e039834d02e
Message ID: <9406022244.AA18607@io.lrcs.loral.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 15:48:03 PDT

Raw message

From: koontzd@lrcs.loral.com (David Koontz )
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 15:48:03 PDT
To: tcmay@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Black Eye for NSA, NIST, and Denning

>        At today's talk at MIT (Morris & Unkenholz of the NSA) Morris
>said several times that the escrow system had to be produced in a
>hurry, on top of the Skipjack algorithim, which was designed
>previously and 'sitting in a storeroom.' (boy, I'd like to FOIA that
>storeroom. :)

Gee, now that mab@research.att.com (Matt Blaze), knows where to find
the checksum, and by extension the unit id (Which shows up on labels
in photos on the literature from Mykotronx) - providing a known plaintext,
maybe someone will start working on the family key?

(I won't hold my breath waiting for it to be announced)

Thread