1994-06-08 - PGP in Australia

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 410a75998768e4e12a5dd7ba44f48046dbf79c98fce9fd4ca11f7601b19e36cb
Message ID: <gate.FVBmNc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 06:07:12 PDT

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 06:07:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP in Australia

dichro@tartarus.uwa.edu.au:
> If anyone wants to give me a copy, drop it off at
> tartarus.uwa.edu.au:/pub/dichro/incoming
> - provided, of course, that it is legal for you to do so ...:)

Pick up PGP versions 2.2 - 6, and the non-RSAREF 6ui, from ftp.dsi.unimi.it
/pub/security/crypt/PGP

Unless Australia forbids _importing_ crypto, not a crime. PGP 6 is the MIT
RSAREF version, so someone violated ITAR to get it to Italy. Using it outside
the US and Canada also violates RSADSI's _copyrights_. PGP 6ui was released
from the UK, and therefore does not violate ITAR. It doesn't use RSAREF, so it
doesn't violate RSADSI copyrights. If used in the US, it does violate RSADSI
_patents_.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                    They came for the Jews,
                                    and I was silent because I was not a Jew;
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                        They came for the Trade Unionists,
                                     and I did not protest, because I did not
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410                        belong to a trade union;
Voicemail +91 11 3760335      They came for the Catholics, and I said nothing
                                                because I was not a Catholic;
H 34C Saket                                        And then they came for me.
New Delhi                            There was no one left to say anything...
INDIA                                                   ----Father Niemoeller

Thread