1994-06-14 - NSA technology transfer

Header Data

From: Dan Harmon <harmon@tenet.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 43593924f3180e367566c95623ea7ab7e94a2f8da377c70002a2f03cfd17c8c1
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9406140012.E12805-0100000@Joyce-Perkins.tenet.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 22:21:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Dan Harmon <harmon@tenet.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 94 22:21:38 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NSA technology transfer

The following was posted on the list in the middle of May.  Being
curious I called the number list at Ft. Meade. The person on who answered
was real shaken, for lack of a better term, that I called, it seems that
this was the second inquiry that day.  He wanted to know various things, like
where did I get the information, was my name Bruce....  After a few minutes
he finally took my name and said, to call him in a week to 10 days if I
did not here from him.  A few day later he called and said I needed to
send a letter to expressing my interest in the technology.  About 10 ten days
after that I called to inquire if he received my letter and what was the
next step.  It seems that there had been quite a few requests and that they were
trying to determine whether or not they were going to allow the
technology to be transferred to individuals. The person said to call back
in 4 or 5 days.  I called today and they said in essence that they
were not going to let individuals have a shot at it.  They said that they
were going to charge stiff license fees, that you would need to show a
plan of how you were going to develop the product.....  You get the
point.

It is obvious that they really don't want to transfer the technology.  And if
they do it will be to someone with deep pockets and who they like.

I wonder where the fees that they want to charge will go, to the
general treasury or to their own budget?

More later.

Dan Harmon