1994-06-14 - Re: As I delurk, a question… (Clipper)

Header Data

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
To: Sidney Markowitz <sidney@taurus.apple.com>
Message Hash: 4d6fd1aba100fb34184b57602c4b9ef3004affae2d44ee24fd62276983ec4cc4
Message ID: <Pine.3.87.9406140914.A12250-0100000@crl2.crl.com>
Reply To: <9406140402.AA15052@federal-excess.apple.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-14 16:46:41 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 09:46:41 PDT

Raw message

From: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 94 09:46:41 PDT
To: Sidney Markowitz <sidney@taurus.apple.com>
Subject: Re: As I delurk, a question... (Clipper)

C'punks,

On Mon, 13 Jun 1994, Sidney Markowitz wrote:

> . . .
> As I read the official pronouncements of representatives of the U.S.
> government and especially the NSA, I can't figure out what they do hope to
> achieve. Can anyone else on this list make sense of it?

Remember the instructions for cooking a live frog.  The government does
not intend to stop until they have effectively eliminated your privacy.

STEP 1:  Clipper becomes the de facto encryption standard.

STEP 2:  When Cypherpunks and other "criminals" eschew Clipper in favor
	 of trusted strong crypto, the government is "forced" to ban
	 non-escrowed encryption systems.  (Gotta catch those pedophiles,
	 drug dealers and terrorists, after all.)

STEP 3:  When Cypherpunks and other criminals use superencryption with
	 Clipper or spoof LEAFs, the government will regretably be forced
	 to engage in random message monitoring to detect these illegal
	 techniques.

Each of these steps will be taken because we wouldn't passively accept
such things as unrestricted wiretaps and reasonable precautions like
digital telephony.  It will portrayed as our fault.  Count on it.

Will such a scenario come about?  Yes, if the government has its way.  No,
if Cypherpunks do their job.  I know the government will do its damnest,
but I'm betting on the Cypherpunks.  It's only us against all the
governments of the world.  (They haven't got a chance!)

 S a n d y

Thread