1994-06-18 - Re: Another Cellular Victim

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Message Hash: 4e679b88291956a7a24dc39e58f942cc49c953ad74cabac778a8daf37550e7a9
Message ID: <199406181734.KAA01562@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9406181611.AA01016@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-18 17:53:03 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Jun 94 10:53:03 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 94 10:53:03 PDT
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Another Cellular Victim

Bear in mind that OJ himself placed a call to 911.  You sort of expect
to lose some of your privacy when you do that.

As everyone knows, when you call 911 from a landline telephone your
phone number and address are automatically displayed on the
dispatcher's console. As strongly pro-privacy as I am, I'd find it
hard to argue against this particular feature. If I called 911 in an
emergency, I'd *want* my address to show up. Especially if I was too
panicked or sick or whatever to give it over the phone.

What I don't know, and am trying to find out, is whether there are any
comparable features in the LA/Orange cellular and 911 systems that
would have displayed the caller's cell site to the 911 dispatcher, or
whether some ad-hoc telephone company help was required.

But however it was done, it worked. This does tend to undermine the
FBI's claim that they can't catch crooks using cell phone systems...

Phil

Thread