1994-06-02 - Re: News Flash: Clipper Bug?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu>
Message Hash: 518d3eb539b793bd7f0a920dc41515c560f90d729285ac682c8bebe1daf89201
Message ID: <9406021156.AA01774@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9406020757.AA12534@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-02 11:56:33 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 04:56:33 PDT

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 04:56:33 PDT
To: Eli Brandt <ebrandt@jarthur.cs.hmc.edu>
Subject: Re: News Flash: Clipper Bug?

Eli Brandt says:
> > Matthew Blaze, a researcher at AT&T Bell Laboratories, told the New
> > York Times that his research had shown that someone with sufficient
> > computer skills can beat the government's technology by encoding
> > messages so that no one, not even the government, can crack them.
>
> Sounds like pre-encryption, after to the usual journalistic garbling.
> Maybe not, I'll drop him a cc: (if I remember the address correctly).

Its not pre-encryption. He's actually getting around the key escrow
features and using Skipjack in a secure manner. Its very slick.

Perry

Thread