1994-06-10 - Re: Remailer Chaining Security? [LONG]

Header Data

From: usura@vox.hacktic.nl (Usura)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 599ea0449bc7398e7b4f9ffa6fa406db5778d5b0320a340ce00c2eae49e715b2
Message ID: <7VPPNc1w165w@vox.hacktic.nl>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 08:22:57 PDT

Raw message

From: usura@vox.hacktic.nl (Usura)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 08:22:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Remailer Chaining Security? [LONG]

:But how does one go about chaining through the remailers? I tried this
:and the message got lost. If indeed you can, does it just involve using
:more than one (anon-to) line in the header?

Note-1: [R-R-T: stands for Request-Remailing-To: ]
Note-2: [You is in this doc abraxas@cyberspace.org,
         substitute that adress for own if you want
         to receive the test message yourself]

First you should test only one remailer:

you > remailer 1 > RRT- you

This is what you send:
--
    TO: remailer@jpunix.com

    ::
    Request-Remailing-To: abraxas@cyberspace.org

    Test of remailer at jpunix.com

This is what you receive:
--
        You will receive this message from jpunix.com

        From: remailer@jpunix.com
        To: abraxas@cyberspace.org

        Test of remailer at jpunix.com
--

If this is succesful you add another remailer:

you > remailer 2 > RRT- rem 2 >> RRT you

This is what you send:
---
    TO: remailer@jpunix.com

    ::
    Request-Remailing-To: nobody@kaiwan.com

    ::
    Request-Remailing-To: abraxas@cyberspace.org

    Test of remailer at jpunix.com and RRT kaiwan.com

        Remailer nobody@kaiwan.com will receive this message from
        remailer@jpunix.com
------
        From: remailer@jpunix.com
        To: nobody@kaiwan.com

        ::
        Request-Remailing-To: abraxas@cyberspace.org

        Test of remailer at jpunix.com and RRT kaiwan.com
------

    Because the message has the header pasting tokens [::]
    the remailer at kaiwan.com knows where to send it to.

        You will receive this message from kaiwan.com

        From: nobody@kaiwan.com
        To: abraxas@cyberspace.org

        Test of remailer at jpunix.com and RRT kaiwan.com
You can keep adding remailer this way, everytime you receive
a test message back you add another remailer: if you stop receiving
test messages, the last remailer added is most likely "down". You can
check that by using that remailer directly.

The above is simple unencrypted remailing. If you want to have an
encrypted chained remailing, you first have to "design" the chain.

    1] send to jpunix.com there RRT kaiwan.com
    2] at kaiwan.com RRT vox.hacktic.nl
    3] at vox.hacktic.nl RRT abraxas@cyberspace.org

First you make the 3rd stage:

--
    ::
    Request-Remailing-To: abraxas@cyberspace.org

    Test of PGP'ed remailing trough jpunix, kaiwan and vox.
--

The above is encrypted whit the PGPpubKEY of VoX.hacktic.nl and will
result in this:

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6 for VoX Labz.

hIwCWd90FI1WkT0BA/9I6ILVhl5ZpsgKgHye+ng9CokwzdW1pMgcd0ecigppAODe
53LlyVw/hl1ERYIzWW9W4vnuh7sLgu9XjxB515FtT5VSyZLZrhKIF7XtACga2On+
1NmsecLTrgXYcc4k0Y+l66Hs06z92yhFvjXruDBS2Pame0VDtgZo+4aPntioDaYA
AABJsVIWRaJkCib+uek9Pr6GqFP7lwaMqq8XFnFxY42h3Wn3c5DikrzmwKGK5xVs
hmiZnEhJgXvR7jS2cNNOk/geG4SnUqvMTzpq6w==
=b0bT
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--

Then you than proceed to the 2nd stage the message wich has to leave
kaiwan.com:

::
Encrypted: PGP

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6 for VoX Labz.

hIwCWd90FI1WkT0BA/9I6ILVhl5ZpsgKgHye+ng9CokwzdW1pMgcd0ecigppAODe
53LlyVw/hl1ERYIzWW9W4vnuh7sLgu9XjxB515FtT5VSyZLZrhKIF7XtACga2On+
1NmsecLTrgXYcc4k0Y+l66Hs06z92yhFvjXruDBS2Pame0VDtgZo+4aPntioDaYA
AABJsVIWRaJkCib+uek9Pr6GqFP7lwaMqq8XFnFxY42h3Wn3c5DikrzmwKGK5xVs
hmiZnEhJgXvR7jS2cNNOk/geG4SnUqvMTzpq6w==
=b0bT
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

But kaiwan.com has to know where to send it to, so the 2nd stage msg is:

::
Request-Remailing-To: remail@vox.hacktic.nl

::
Encrypted: PGP

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6 for VoX Labz.

hIwCWd90FI1WkT0BA/9I6ILVhl5ZpsgKgHye+ng9CokwzdW1pMgcd0ecigppAODe
53LlyVw/hl1ERYIzWW9W4vnuh7sLgu9XjxB515FtT5VSyZLZrhKIF7XtACga2On+
1NmsecLTrgXYcc4k0Y+l66Hs06z92yhFvjXruDBS2Pame0VDtgZo+4aPntioDaYA
AABJsVIWRaJkCib+uek9Pr6GqFP7lwaMqq8XFnFxY42h3Wn3c5DikrzmwKGK5xVs
hmiZnEhJgXvR7jS2cNNOk/geG4SnUqvMTzpq6w==
=b0bT
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

The above is then encrypted whit the PGPpubKEY of kaiwan.com:

--
Stage 1:

This new encrypted message gets the headers for jpunix to remail:

::
Request-Remailing-To: nobody@kaiwan.com

::
Encrypted: PGP

-----BEGIN PGG MESSAGE-----

and the PGP encrypted message from stage 2

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

---

Stage 0: the message you send to jpunix.com

is the encrypted message [with the PGPpubKEY of jpunix.com] of
stage 1 plus a Encrypted: PGP header.

To: remail@jpunix.com

::
Encrypted: PGP

-----BEGIN PGG MESSAGE-----

and the PGP encrypted message from stage 1

-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--
Exit! Stage Left.
Alex de Joode                                 <usura@vox.hacktic.nl>