1994-06-17 - Re: Prime magnitude and keys…a ?

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5d2e9d6463e15741f3960d39e5273d4fdb2219c787a6151f458d5d9be3e0d0dc
Message ID: <199406171547.IAA13206@netcom.com>
Reply To: <199406171451.JAA29719@zoom.bga.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-17 15:47:57 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 08:47:57 PDT

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 94 08:47:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Prime magnitude and keys...a ?

Jim choate <ravage@bga.com> writes:

 > I was wondering if anyone is aware of a function or test
 > which would allow a person to feed PGP or other RSA
 > algorithm a test key and then look at the result and
 > determine if the key was greater or lesser than the actual
 > key?

This is an approach that I haven't heard of before.  If one could
determine the numerical ordering of two different keys used to
RSA-encrypt the same piece of plaintext by examining the
ciphertext, one could easily break RSA by a binary search of the
keyspace.

Given two moduli N1 and N2, and some plaintext P, and PGP's
favorite encryption exponent, 17, you need to determine if
N1 < N2 by examining P^17 MOD N1 and P^17 MOD N2.  Although this
is only a one-bit function, it clearly depends upon P in a very
complicated way.  Since P is unknown and deliberately made random
in practical RSA implementations, I am not sure such an attack
shows much promise.  I would guess that this would be at least as
complicated as solving an RSA or discrete log problem directly.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread