1994-06-15 - Re: Cypherpunks’ mail database does exist

Header Data

From: whitaker@dpair.csd.sgi.com (Russell Whitaker)
To: “Gary Jeffers” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 714d1ac80e017f53903a8b73ed41c8b5affb40b4cdb4fcdb0838264bce2d33fc
Message ID: <9406151335.ZM23855@dpair.csd.sgi.com>
Reply To: <9406151953.AA03754@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-15 20:38:06 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 13:38:06 PDT

Raw message

From: whitaker@dpair.csd.sgi.com (Russell Whitaker)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 13:38:06 PDT
To: "Gary Jeffers" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Cypherpunks' mail database does exist

On Jun 15,  2:51pm, Gary Jeffers wrote:
> Subject: Cypherpunks' mail database does exist
>    Vincent, you  state that a fully archived, indexed cypherpunks
> mailing list exists as:
> http://pmip.maricopa.edu/crypt/cypherpunks/cypherpunks.src
> Ok, so I ftp'ed to pmip.maricopa.edu & tried to get to cypherpunks.src,
> but even the subdirectories weren't there. I suspect that http does
> not imply that we ftp. What communication method is this called & how
> do we use it? I send this public instead of private as I suspect that
> a lot of lurkers don't know what is going on either.

This access method uses httpd, which listens at a different port (tcp 80) on
the server than ftpd.  What this *means* is that ftp is not likely to work with
this address.  Depending upon the local setup, you may/may not be able to ftp
into this site, by way of a different site mapping, and be able to root around
for the file.

However, bear in mind (you need to hack html to grok this issue) that the above
pathname is often relative, rather than absolute.  That is, the httpd daemon
knows where to look to serve you, but may hide the absolute pathname from you,
which may really be something like:
		/var/httpd/foo/foo_files
... which may itself be symlinked elsewhere.

The upshot of this is that you need to get a web browser, like Lynx (sp? I
don't use it; line mode) or xmosaic (which I use and get along with).

Hope this starts to help.

Russell

--
Russell Earl Whitaker			    whitaker@csd.sgi.com