1994-06-28 - Re: Sternlight

Header Data

From: “Bill O’Hanlon” <wmo@digibd.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7c59d2bd4908f4cf59351801ff0aa6573c0723eca0aa185f163d6472b8c854e8
Message ID: <9406281517.AA06694@poe.digibd.com>
Reply To: <199406272313.QAA11090@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-28 16:35:46 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 09:35:46 PDT

Raw message

From: "Bill O'Hanlon" <wmo@digibd.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 94 09:35:46 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Sternlight

On Mon, 27 Jun 1994 16:13:13 -0700 (PDT)  Timothy C. May wrote:
--------

> No, Sternlight has in fact posted a number of incisive articles--which
> I publically agreed with--in the cpsr and eff groups. His analysis of
> the public funding of a "free lane on the information highway" was
> accurate (he's opposed). And Sternlight and Carl Kadie have been
> debating the competing approaches to 'wiring the home,' with
> Sternlight arguing for a common carrier, "video dialtone" approach
> instead of a TCI "500 channels of what we think you want" approach.
>
> [Don't agree or disagree _here_, as I'm only giving a thumbnail sketch
> of the debate.]
>
> I find myself agreeing with some things Sternlight says, and I
> certainly find polite debate with him more rewarding than exchanging
> stupid insults. (Not saying Bill did here, of course, just saying many
> people seem to think debating with Sternlight means calling him clever
> names like "Sterndark," "Sterno," and "UnProfessor." Not quite.)
>
> --Tim May

Oooh.  Thank you, Tim.  This is exactly the kind of response I'd half hoped
for, and didn't think I'd get.  I was hoping someone HAD seen Sternlight, and
that he hadn't just been out of town or something.  It cheers me that he is
around but not prodding people on newsgroups that I am interested in.  There's
hope that his crypto-noise will die down, then.

I don't always disagree with him, either, but I don't like what the results are
once he takes a position on a news group.  Once, I talked (via email) him into
not posting to sci.crypt, for no other reason than because there were people
who had an emotional investment in putting him down, and the resulting
arguments had nothing to do with sci.crypt.

Hmm.  As an attempt to legitimize this note in the crypto sense, does anyone
have an opinion as to whether or not I should upgrade the version of PGP I'm
using for the remailer@rebma.mn.org?  I'm using 2.3a, currently.

-Bill

Thread