1994-06-05 - Keep Out–The Journal of Electronic Privacy

Header Data

From: John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org (John Schofield)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ad03f1b87e84f2f48f8475e7edce4f8a8869097558a2dea152745841ab2b7d2e
Message ID: <4670.2DF18F6B@mcws.fidonet.org>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jun 94 03:31:30 PDT

Raw message

From: John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org (John Schofield)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 94 03:31:30 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Keep Out--The Journal of Electronic Privacy

                              Keep Out
                  The Journal of Electronic Privacy

     There is a well-established constitutional right to privacy in the United
States.  We have this right today because of the wisdom and forethought of our
founding fathers.

     That right is being threatened--usually not by would-be dictators or
demagogues, but by well-meaning people who are simply misguided.

     To counter that threat, I created Keep Out.

     Keep Out focuses on the practical side of cryptography, digital money,
anonymous remailers, and everything else that can increase privacy.  Rather
than discuss the obscure branches of mathematics that are the basis for these
technologies, Keep Out will discuss how to get these technologies, what they
can do, and how to use them.

     Stories in progress for the first issue include:
       *  A review of the different programs that claim to link PGP with
          off-line mail-readers
       *  A story on the breaking of RSA and what it really means in terms of
          the security of your messages
       *  An interview with Phil Zimmermann, including his thoughts on privacy
          in the digital age, export controls on cryptography, the copyright o
          RSA (the algorithm used in PGP), and information on his struggle wit
          US Customs over exporting PGP
       *  In our beginners' section, an explanation of how public-key
          encryption works, and how it can work for you

     In short, Keep Out focuses on who is taking your privacy away from you,
and what you can do to get it back.

     A one-year subscription (six issues) to Keep Out costs US $15.  Keep Out
can not accept credit-card orders, but checks and money orders payable to
"Keep Out" are welcome.

     The premier issue of Keep Out will reach newsstands everywhere August 1.

     The electronic version of Keep Out will be released after it is published
on paper.

     For information on advertising, to reach our editorial staff, or for
subscription questions, call (818) 345-8640, or write:

                Keep Out
                P.O. Box 571312
                Tarzana, CA 91357-1312

     You can fax Keep Out at (818) 342-5127.  You can also reach Keep Out
through the Internet at "Keep.Out@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org" or call the Keep
Out BBS at (818) 342-5127.  Our Fidonet address is "Keep Out" at 1:102/903.0.

John Schofield
Publisher, Keep Out
John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org

**EZ-PGP v1.07 beta

--- Blue Wave/RA v2.12
--
: John Schofield - via mcws.fidonet.org - Public Access (213)256-8371
: ARPA/INTERNET: John.Schofield@f903.n102.z1.fidonet.org

Thread