1994-06-16 - Encrypted databases

Header Data

From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b96ba8f315911bba79bee9ea6f24e97919496edaa284a94e1630c69306390fac
Message ID: <9406160032.AA07949@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 17:31:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 94 17:31:19 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Encrypted databases

In _Applied Cryptography,_ Bruce Schneier describes a method of encrypting
a database in such a way that it's easy to get individual entries but
"impossible" to get the whole database. Basically, the first field is a
hash of the individual's last name, the second is encrypted (symmentrical
algorithm) w/ that name and contains the rest of the info.

Are there any readily available implementations of this or anything
equivalent? I've a use for such, but I'm not likely to have the time to
start writing anything like that for a month or two.

Thanks,

b&

--
Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): Protect your privacy; oppose Clipper.

Thread