1994-06-08 - Re: CYBERSPACE IS BY NATURE C

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: bmorris@netcom.com (Bob MorrisG)
Message Hash: c5cff76f646fbc195061aad404043c4ec74b048cf67c1f0683470d3e730e37ba
Message ID: <199406081256.HAA10247@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <199406080627.XAA02185@netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-06-08 12:57:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 05:57:12 PDT

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 94 05:57:12 PDT
To: bmorris@netcom.com (Bob MorrisG)
Subject: Re: CYBERSPACE IS BY NATURE C

> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
>
> RR> sex with minors, the act itself has to be _physical_! The crime cannot
> RR> discussing it. What's the FBI going to do? Jail people for _talking_ a
> RR> murder, or jail _murderers_?
>
> Uh, I think they can, and do, jail for discussing a crime.  It's called
> conspiracy, and the crime does *not have to have been committed for
> conspirators to be jailed.  It happened here in L.A. recently.  Some
> skinheads were jailed for conspiracy to bomb an synagogue, however the
> synagogue had not actually been bombed.  They went to prison.
>
>  * RM 1.4 B0037 *

 For a group to comit conspiracy they have to actually do something other than
just talk about it. For example, you and I are discussing robbing a bank over
lunch, nothing illegal about that. However(!), the instant you say "lets use
my car" or "I have a gun we can use" then you have committed conspiracy.

It is my understanding that conspiracy is a felony even if the crime is a
misdemeanor...

Thread