1994-06-03 - Mosaic / CEB / CypherEssay Archive and List

Header Data

From: Vincent.Cate@FURMINT.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dba12e7e61a189d33bc74a4f3946b93923a1913a273d78c16ec2cb47405354fd
Message ID: <770631019/vac@FURMINT.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 01:47:55 PDT

Raw message

From: Vincent.Cate@FURMINT.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 94 01:47:55 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Mosaic / CEB / CypherEssay Archive and List

I think that Mosaic pages are the way to go these days.  These
are not hard to write and they are very nice to use.  For some
interesting examples of what can be done, check out some of the
existing cypherpunk mosaic pages:

   ftp://soda.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/Home.html
   ftp://ftp.u.washington.edu/public/phantom/cpunk/README.html
   http://www.quadralay.com/www/Crypt/Crypt.html
   http://digicash.support.nl
   ftp://furmint.nectar.cs.cmu.edu/security/README.html
   http://pmip.maricopa.edu/crypt/cypherpunks

I think it would be good to have a "cypherpunks-essay" mailing list
that was not moderated but people only sent essays that they thought
were good enough to be archived.  For starters, people can just
CC: mail to "vac+cypheressay" and it will get dropped into a separate
file in:

 ftp://furmint.nectar.cs.cmu.edu/security/cypheressay

My "vac+cypheressay" was done with one line in my .maildelivery
and a short shell script I call "save-numbered".  Both are below
(note the A.I. methods used to moderate mail).

Having a "cypherpunks-essay" mailing list on the same machine as
"cypherpunks" could be nice for folks who want a lower volume group.
Could have mail to it also go to cypherpunks, and Reply-To: also
go to cypherpunks.

   -- Vince

Addr vac+cypheressay  pipe R /usr/vac/bin/save-numbered  /usr/anon/security/cypheressay

#!/bin/csh -f
#
# This is not totally safe as it is not atomic.  If two messages
# came at the same time there is a chance one would get lost.
# For a low volume list this will not be a problem.

cd $1

umask 022

set current = `cat num`
  @ next = $current + 1