1994-07-23 - leahy and the eff on clipper “reversal”

Header Data

From: Jonathan Rochkind <jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 043cd3a6174b05065112b195fc0ee665e05566418a233090fab21b73acceee25
Message ID: <199407231559.LAA25939@cs.oberlin.edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 09:01:07 PDT

Raw message

From: Jonathan Rochkind <jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 09:01:07 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: leahy and the eff on clipper "reversal"

I am amused to see that Senator Leahy's press release was in fact more
"radical", and closer to the typical position of a cypherpunk then the
EFF press release was. An actual politician simply read the Gore letter
for what it was: no significant change in their policy whatsoever.
While the "public interest" or "advocacy" group that the EFF is supposed
to be appearantly decided it would be more politic to make friends
with the administration by pretending they've made some progress.

I'm sure Leahy (or one of his aides) assumed the EFF would be saying
the same thing as Leahy was. He's probably berating one of his aides right
now for releasing a statement that was more radical and likely to anger
the administration then even the EFF statement.

Sigh.

Thread