1994-07-26 - Det./tmp/Nym on Netcom

Header Data

From: whitaker@dpair.csd.sgi.com (Russell Whitaker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 185788cea3fdc665570bdde2c1525155acd951c2f8eab676737ace004790e117
Message ID: <9407251205.ZM8240@dpair.csd.sgi.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 19:46:09 PDT

Raw message

From: whitaker@dpair.csd.sgi.com (Russell Whitaker)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 94 19:46:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Det./tmp/Nym on Netcom

Noon 25 July 1994

Prepended disclaimer: I do not speak for Netcom or SGI.

I have spoken to Bryant at Netcom's operations center in San Jose,
California, and he has asked me to pass along the following to the
Cypherpunks list and anyone else concerned with L. Detweiler and system
user accounts:
	nym@netcom.com
	tmp@netcom.com

Both of these accounts have been suspended.  The "nym" account was
suspended as of late last week.

Although it is not Netcom's policy to give out account user information
which includes names, addresses, and other such personal data, Bryant was
at liberty to say that the user accounts "tmp" and "nym" were the same
person.  I approve of this company policy, by the way.

The accounts department at Netcom has been made aware by Bryant that
trouble has been generated by the singular person writing checks in
payment of both the "nym" and "tmp" accounts, and has been told not to accept
any new orders from anyone suspected to be the same person.  Particular
attention is being paid to orders made from the Denver area.

Bryant has asked me to add that Netcom's way of handling such trouble
is strictly complaint-driven.  If you have a complaint about a particular
user, your best bet is to call Netcom.  Bryant can be reached directly at
Netcom by calling 408-983-1510.

[bcc: Bryant at Netcom (not email address; call phone)]

Appended disclaimer: I do not speak for Netcom or SGI.

--
Russell Earl Whitaker			    whitaker@csd.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics Inc.

Thread