1994-07-11 - Re: using RSA-the-cryptosystem to secure RSA-the-company’s patent?

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: Jef Poskanzer <jef@ee.lbl.gov>
Message Hash: 1fa09fdeb04751ce4772f033616355e0bad2b5d88a1ea2cb5614bc9bbd498250
Message ID: <9407110436.AA28540@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <199407110308.UAA29942@hot.ee.lbl.gov>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-11 04:36:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 10 Jul 94 21:36:28 PDT

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 94 21:36:28 PDT
To: Jef Poskanzer <jef@ee.lbl.gov>
Subject: Re: using RSA-the-cryptosystem to secure RSA-the-company's patent?

> Can anyone think of a way that RSA-the-company could include some sort
> of RSA-cryptosystem-secured check in a release of PGP so that it would
> only interoperate with other versions that have the same check?  I don't
> see how it could be done, but it's sure an intriguing idea.

PGP is released in source code, therefore anything that gets put into
the code could always be taken out or matched in another version.  For
example, PGP 2.6 contains the hack to change the version number of
packets on September 1.  This was necessary to please RSA, the
company.  And look what happened, 2.6ui was created which matches the
functionality (in that it can read the packets that 2.6 will generate
after 1-September).

The point of this is, why would *you* care?  I can understand why RSA
_might_ care, but I don't see Phil Zimmermann agreeing to it, and I
don't see how anyone could force it into PGP at this point.

-derek

Thread