1994-07-19 - Re: Ms. Nym’s stigmata

Header Data

From: xentrac@cybele.unm.edu (Kragen J. Sittler)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2aae54dfa6c0cb9339cd29076676c73f8133fcdc87de98dd873f99eca624d828
Message ID: <9407192229.AA20496@cybele.unm.edu>
Reply To: <199407192111.OAA21143@mail2.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-19 23:20:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 16:20:03 PDT

Raw message

From: xentrac@cybele.unm.edu (Kragen J. Sittler)
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 16:20:03 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ms. Nym's stigmata

catalyst-remailer@netcom.com:
> A quick review of the patent stigmata:
>
> > I have been reading some fascinating interpretations of these and
> > other prophecies lately.
>
> Frequent Biblical allusions, particularly fond of apocalyptic references.
>
> >                    I think your cause for privacy would actually be
> > *advanced* by promoting an ID *card* under the following condition:
>
> Attempts to mask underlying obsession with veneer of rationality.
>

> > Anyone can obtain as many ID cards as they want.
>
> Fixation on multiple personalities (tentacles, "pseudo-anonymity").

But she doesn't demonstrate the maniacal hatred for multiple
pseudonyms that LD did.  In fact, she's supporting them.

> > Before you accuse me of heresy, consider the system of email address
> > privacy that was championed earlier by Perry Metzger: you can get any
>  [ and later ]
> > Well, I do not appreciate threats in my mailbox such as "Go away--I'm not
> > as gentle as Perry Metzger". I can't believe how torqued-up all you guys
> > are. This mailing list is like a firing range.
>
> Frequent mention of Perry Metzger.
> Standard unit of torment: Perry Metzger.

Someone sent the mail she mentions.  I think that it was an excellent
example of 'extreme go-away mail'.  It's not her fault that the person
who sent the most militant message of paranoia mentioned pmetzger.

I don't think the few mentions of him in what she has posted have
exceeded normal levels.

> > system with government? Or do you just want to get rid of governments,
> > and use "privacy" as the reason? Yikes.
>
> Tireless apologist and supporter of government.

This sounds like what an average person would say if you showed them
messages saying things like 'the reason I like crypto is that it's a
hammer with which to smash the State.'  She doesn't sound like a
'tireless apologist and supporter'; she sounds like a non-anarchist.

> > People, you may successfully get me to lose this account for no reason.
>
> Paranoia never far below the surface.

She's telling the truth.  She's recognizing the reality that if a
couple of hundred people complain about her being LD, it's likely that
support@netcom is likely to terminate her account with extreme
prejudice, without listening to her insistence that she's not.

I don't think that's paranoid.  Do you?

Kragen

Thread