1994-07-28 - RE: What can one do for remail operators? (fwd)

Header Data

From: David Merriman <merriman@metronet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2fcc92b8672de7ee4993afb383e9af79b40f6daed4ab35c029365f6ea60d9a2d
Message ID: <199407281555.AA10259@metronet.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 08:57:49 PDT

Raw message

From: David Merriman <merriman@metronet.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 08:57:49 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: What can one do for remail operators? (fwd)

> I think the single most important thing we could do for remailer operators
> would be to figure out how to make the remailers *truly* *anonymous*. That
> is, we need a net.hack of some sort that allows remailers to send their
> messages in a way that leaves no trace whatsoever of the original poster
> *and* leaves no trace of the remailer itself.
>
> Net.veterans will perhaps recall a thread I started a while back along
> these lines... this is a technical problem, and I have the utmost
> confidence that the skills to solve this problem are around here somewhere.
> If I may make a humble suggestion, I would suggest that this problem is
> more immediate and pressing than many of the issues currently being
> debated.

One option might be for the remailer to forward messages giving a false
ID/address - essentially, lying about who they are and where they live :-)

That would seem to take care of the outbound traffic; how to deal with
the inbound traffic is an exercise left for the reader ;-)

Dave Merriman

Thread