1994-07-28 - Re: DES Vulnerable, Why?

Header Data

From: kentborg@world.std.com (Kent Borg)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 37d7f16aeeb98089513fdf8d2da6c39a60b5240340bc38a6bab8c54a9ddb50f5
Message ID: <199407282014.AA01888@world.std.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 13:15:15 PDT

Raw message

From: kentborg@world.std.com (Kent Borg)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 13:15:15 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DES Vulnerable, Why?

[Tim said, roughly, that public actions to replace DES have not
revealed anything about what the NSA & Co. know about DES's
weaknesses.]

Which I guess is part of what I was driving at.

The other part of what I was driving at: DES is becoming crackable by
pure brute force.  Doesn't 3-DES solve that problem for a few orders
of magnatude?

If 3-DES is so simple a variation on DES, then what is wrong with DES
that 3-DES doesn't solve?  (Yes, it is slower in SW than IDEA--I am
talking security for the moment.)

-kb, the Kent who is leery of the new-fangled when the old seems so
easy to fix

--
Kent Borg                                                  +1 (617) 776-6899
kentborg@world.std.com

Thread