1994-07-15 - Re: National ID cards are just the driver’s licenses on the Information

Header Data

From: Linn Stanton <lstanton@sten.lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 475062878deb79e00bae85249f7896ade7d4c65710ad84cd5bcce84c566a1bec
Message ID: <9407151446.AA01566@sten.lehman.com>
Reply To: <199407142033.NAA01489@netcom3.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-15 14:44:58 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 07:44:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Linn Stanton <lstanton@sten.lehman.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 94 07:44:58 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: National ID cards are just the driver's licenses on the Information

tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May) <199407142033.NAA01489@netcom3.netcom.com> writes:
  > (And as an EFF member, dues all paid up, I have no hope that EFF or
  > any of its FLA brethren will oppose this firmly. At the risk of
  > angering our own John Gilmore, a founder of the EFF, I think EFF
  > management is so enamored of being inside the Beltway that it will
  > likely confine its role to providing "input" to the Gorewellian forces
  > putting this thing together.)

This may be an area where CPSR does a better job than EFF. CPSR has a
pretty good record on these topics, and seems less caught up in the
'but these guys are my friends' philosophy of EFF.

At the risk of reopening a very old thread, it is an unfortunate fact
that, in this country, these proposals are not getting the widespread
opposition that they would if they were introduced by Republicans.

Thread