1994-07-28 - RE: What can one do for remail operators?

Header Data

From: Philippe Nave <pdn@msmail.dr.att.com>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 487f934a48f181c61a6abb853bd73edafd1afa22f3a09a960d58670a45a86002
Message ID: <2E37C904@mspost.dr.att.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 08:05:34 PDT

Raw message

From: Philippe Nave <pdn@msmail.dr.att.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 94 08:05:34 PDT
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: RE: What can one do for remail operators?

> I am interested in doing something to support the remailer operators
> that put their necks on the line for us cypherpunks.
>
> I have noticed people like Detweiler (dunno who he is) who are basically
> awed by the fact that a remailer crashes when you send your VM swap
> file through it, or people using it to do "nanny-nanny-boo-boo, you
> can't catch me, so pween off" messages, et al.
>
> I would like to something in support of these people who are noble
> enough to keep things running even when EVERYONE it seems is out
> to get them.
>
> If I knew any around here, they would get a free beer, and if
> the operator of Soda's remailer or Julf was in my area, they
> would get the whole keg ;).

I think the single most important thing we could do for remailer operators
would be to figure out how to make the remailers *truly* *anonymous*. That
is, we need a net.hack of some sort that allows remailers to send their
messages in a way that leaves no trace whatsoever of the original poster
*and* leaves no trace of the remailer itself.

Net.veterans will perhaps recall a thread I started a while back along
these lines... this is a technical problem, and I have the utmost
confidence that the skills to solve this problem are around here somewhere.
If I may make a humble suggestion, I would suggest that this problem is
more immediate and pressing than many of the issues currently being
debated.

  Philippe

Thread