1994-07-19 - RE: Big Brother comes to Campus

Header Data

From: Vinod Valloppillil <t-vinodv@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4b39607582b30d8d9a1ac082fb311f3088a5121df71d1f7c9d2a48c8ad846653
Message ID: <9407191649.AA02521@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 09:49:26 PDT

Raw message

From: Vinod Valloppillil <t-vinodv@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 94 09:49:26 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Big Brother comes to Campus

<stuff about Mankato State U. requiring that all students use a new
PhotoID card deleted>

	Personally, I don't think I have any real problem with it.  Unlike a
government approach, you still retain some level of choice -- i.e. if
you don't like Mankato's ability to track you through this card, don't
go to Mankato, or perhaps more realistically, minimize usage of the
card.  This seems kind of similar to the arguments about a company's
right to use escrowed keys.  There is no reason why a company can't
mandate that all use escrowed keys for employees conducting company
business (email, transactions, etc.).  If the company is regularly
using its keys to examine your mail and it pisses you off, quit and
work for a different company that treats its employees with more
respect.  In any case, choice is preserved.

Vinod

Thread