1994-07-24 - Re: GUT and P=NP

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: 58b7b78c19847e8d79b3420096814de547d3689d8f806bc328b216e7c31716db
Message ID: <199407240028.RAA12119@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 17:27:45 PDT

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 94 17:27:45 PDT
To: rjc@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: GUT and P=NP

Ray wrote:
> Everything is an algorithm

This does not appear to be a very useful concept of what
an algorithm is.

>   I can't think of a single thing which is non-algorithmic
> except true randomness or non-determinism.

How about any process where the state and the change
between one state and another state can be described
tolerably simply in some language that is not explicitly
algorithmic, but which is enormously difficult, complex,
and expensive to describe in explicitly algorithmic
language, for example water pouring through a channel?

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we     James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from     jamesd@netcom.com
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

Thread