1994-07-19 - Re: Detweiler

Header Data

From: Matthew Ghio <ghio@kaiwan.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 59ca634bbb7d31739eb208da8988546776ea256cc0f49f8e9d655f2dcb5ffefa
Message ID: <199407190217.TAA23602@kaiwan.kaiwan.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 19:17:54 PDT

Raw message

From: Matthew Ghio <ghio@kaiwan.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 94 19:17:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Detweiler

|ghio said that Detweiller must have forged that Big Collision message
|sent to his remailer, because the person it was attributed to hadn't
|logged in. I wonder if "rsh" shows up in that type of login?? maybe
|he "rsh"ed to the account to send from there?!?! and didn't log in
|to have a cover story??

The messages appear to be being forged via port 25.  He's sent several
dozen of them, and they all have different from addresses.

|btw, I haven't seen anything from Detweiller at tmp@netcom.com. I assume
|he still has the account?!?! maybe if someone calls netcom and complains
|they will do something??

Well, I complained...  Haven't heard anything from them yet tho.

|i'm glad ghio caught that message in his mailbox through careful screening
|so that it wouldn't go out to the newsgroups. I always thought the
|remailers were automated, but I guess in most case the operators are
|screening all the stuff. this is good, because we don't need any more
|Detweiller junk out there (amazing how peaceful things are without him!!!)
|too bad if the message was forged, because it would be LOTS of fun to
|EXPOSE THE BASTARD!!! (insert evil smirk here)

No.  The remailer is automated.  I don't normally screen messages before they
are sent out or otherwise censor them.  The message he sent went out to the
newsgroups.  After I saw the anonymous messages appearing, I started having the
remailer save copies of all messages.  He seems to have an automated process
set up to spew these things out.  I have now temporarily disabled my remailer
until this crud stops.

|BTW, here is something I was wondering. on the Detweiller message he has
|an "errors-to: /dev/null" field. what does that do? why did he put that
|in there, anyway? i've never seen any documentation reference it. do
|the remailers handle it?

It doesn't do anything that I'm aware of.  My remailer does support
"Request-Remailing-To: null" which will just delete the message.
The more recent messages just have a blank Errors-To: header.  I keep getting
messages from him every few minutes.  blah...

Thread