1994-07-14 - Re: MAKE.MONEY.FAST

Header Data

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 5b101d8ba35fad877ea6c05b14afbf6894eafb2cba1613a3cd5f58e0f3f462c7
Message ID: <199407140942.CAA25788@servo.qualcomm.com>
Reply To: <9407131424.AA13455@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-14 09:42:58 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 02:42:58 PDT

Raw message

From: Phil Karn <karn@qualcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 02:42:58 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: MAKE.MONEY.FAST

>I'm afraid that you just published the idea, Mike, so only you can
>patent it in the US during the next 12 months. Outside the US, its now
>unpatentable.

When has that ever stopped the Patent Office? I have had the bitter
experience of openly publishing an idea (a protocol for wireless LANs)
with the intent that it pass into the public domain. With much
surprise did I learn that Proxim, Inc, had filed for and was granted a
patent on the same exact thing, despite their filing date being more
than a year after the publication of my paper.

By the way, I notice that the Patent Office is taking comments until
August on whether their standards for nonobviousness should be
tightened. (Is the Pope Polish?) Here's your chance, although after
the way NIST totally ignored our comments on clipper, I don't know
what good it will do...

Phil

Thread