1994-07-06 - No Subject

Header Data

From: eternal!jgostin@bts.com
To: N/A
Message Hash: 620c1341d796c1a0a9b6f6354510c24fa606ee445aaab005d545f0c7357a0225
Message ID: <m0qLdUX-0001xYC@jabber.bts.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 6 Jul 94 13:50:48 PDT

Raw message

From: eternal!jgostin@bts.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 94 13:50:48 PDT
Subject: No Subject

for cypherpunks@toad.com
From: Jeff Gostin<jgostin@eternal.pha.pa.us>
Subject:Re: How long is reasonable?
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 1994 15:11:40 EST

Mike Markley <mmarkley@microsoft.com> writes:

> can't be broken in a reasonable amount of time. I'm  interested in what
> most of the people on this list would consider a reasonable amount of
> time though.
     For me, "reasonable amount of time" translates into "the minimum
amount of time neccessary to elapse before the information gained loses
its sensitive or critical value." In other words, if I encrypted some
rather embarrassing letters that I wanted to keep, but also wanted to keep
safe, the "reasonable amount of time" would be as long as it takes for me
to die, plus one day. If it's a "state secret", it might be 100 years.

                                   --Jeff
--
  ==    ==        | The new, improved, environmentally safe, bigger, better,|

Thread