1994-07-04 - No Subject

Header Data

From: nobody@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 66525a5ba6e79435f2e07f54359dfd7ed28de64ff337e016528783fd3c804433
Message ID: <199407041555.IAA01229@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 08:51:04 PDT

Raw message

From: nobody@shell.portal.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 94 08:51:04 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: No Subject

I have followed with interest this discussion of passphrase
"entropy".  What I'm not clear on is the effect of a hashing
algorithm on the final entropy.  If I come up with a "random" set
of printable characters which contain 128 bits of entropy, and
feed them to MD5, let's say, will I still have 128 bits of
entropy on the output?  Or do I need some sort of safety margin
above 128 bits to "be sure"?

What's lurking in the back of my mind is this -- if you enter
something with LESS than 128 bits, the hashing algorithm has to
"pad" or otherwise fill in the missing bits from <somewhere>.
Now if I have entered a phrase with EXACTLY 128 bits of entropy,
hypothetically, is that enough to have flushed the padding or
whatever out of the pipeline?

Can we really treat MD5 as a "magic black box", or does the
optimal input require a knowledge of how the box works?

    .

Thread