1994-07-29 - Re: No SKE in Daytona and other goodies

Header Data

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
To: blancw@microsoft.com (Blanc Weber)
Message Hash: 74829a217b48cecaf54d4839339bdcc7b154111ff30e21e10a890ea8712a4bec
Message ID: <9407292044.AA29437@wombat.sware.com>
Reply To: <9407291948.AA26680@netmail2.microsoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-29 20:45:38 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Jul 94 13:45:38 PDT

Raw message

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@sware.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 94 13:45:38 PDT
To: blancw@microsoft.com (Blanc Weber)
Subject: Re: No SKE in Daytona and other goodies

> What is the difference if a big company subjects its employees to a
> key-escrow system or if the government does it with the people. If you
> think about it, the government could coerce the company into reading
> through information being passed back and forth....
>
> With a private company, you can negotiate with the owners, or leave.
> With the government, you have no choice.

There is an additional difference which I believe has been implicit in
most of the discussion on this issue:  When we talk about a company
escrowing the keys of its employees, we mean the company escrows the keys
of encrypted communications used *for company business and on "company
time"*, not necessarily all keys utilized for all communications by the
employees.  I suppose a company could try to restrict its employees further,
but as Blanc notes, you can leave the company a lot easier than you can
leave the country.

-- Jeff

Thread