1994-07-16 - Hashed hash

Header Data

From: Ben Goren <ben@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8e83b426d4496d6d20debf7436ff3d7a45361985f68091ed322c480151638c3c
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9407161315.B9512-0100000@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Raw Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 13:52:27 PDT

Raw message

From: Ben Goren <ben@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 13:52:27 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hashed hash

I'm planning on implementing the "cryptographic protection of databases"
on page 61 of Schneier, to create a directory of a professional
organization that would be useless to telemarketers.

There's a problem, though: a brute-force attack is agonizingly easy. If
the hash algorithm runs at the same speed as DES, then an MC68040 could
break all eight-letter last names in about three months. Only those who
have twelve-letter last names would have even the security of DES against
brute-force, and all this goes out the window if the attacker has any
brains at all and uses the "telephone-book" attack Bruce mentions.

So, my question: for any of the popular hash algorithms H(m), is it known if
there is or is not an algorithm I(m) such that I(m)=H(H(m))? Are the hash
algorithms groups or not?

If not, then I can hash the name field as many times as I like for as much
of a strength v speed compromise as I want. If they are groups, then I
either have to figure out some other method of slowing things down--and I
haven't yet thought of anything that isn't either trivial or security
through obscurity--or decide if I can live with the fact that it's still
about as hard to get the information by a cryptographic attack as by
scanning in the printed book.

Of course, should the electronic version be much more secure, then perhaps
I can talk the organization into stopping printed publication, and it
would be useful to organizations which haven't yet published their
membership lists over fears of abuse.

b&

--
Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 net.proselytizing (write for info): Protect your privacy; oppose Clipper.

Thread